Friday, April 1, 2016

like the willow, like the mother f***in' willow



I started fast this morning.  I was kind of cooking.  Which, for me anyways, could mean a 9:45 minute mile.  I have no idea how fast I was running because I was not keeping time.  I was running sans tech. It was great for about 2 miles, tough for about a mile and a half and then manageable again for the final two.  Not to sound like a broken record (too late) but this shit ain't about stability.  

Once again I realize that every run is different and once more it dawns upon my thick skull that one can motor through most discomfort by acknowledging that it's there and not giving a flaming crap. Tara Brach, a Clinical Psychologist who also leads guided meditations via her podcasts, speaks of four steps to embrace being overwhelmed and I think these steps are very relevant for runners.  She uses the acronym RAIN and speaks with MUCH more eloquence than I can muster.  But anyways, here it is; 

Recognize what is going on
Allow the experience to be there, just as it is
Investigate with kindness
Natural awareness, which comes from not identifying with the experience

I kind of like the I.  My usual proclivity is to investigate with mortar rounds and strafing fire.... 

If you want a full break down read this article - 

Another interesting thing about this morning was that it was 65 degrees!  That is the hottest weather that I have run in by, like, 25 degrees.  It was THICK with humidity and its not even July!!!  I think water is going to start playing a much more important role in my life during the upcoming months.

Ok.  I need to drink my smoothie.  And STRETCH.




No comments:

Post a Comment