Sunday, March 27, 2016

Getting there


So, I think I have passed on through to a new stage (?) in my running.  I was out the door this morning and was running at a pretty effortless pace for a good bit.  I made my self slow down after a mile or so because I wanted to try and run 7 miles.  I made it to the park and felt really great.  It was a bit cold and I wish I had brought gloves, but I felt good.  I was sans headphones and just grooving on the scenery.

There was a bike race going on in the park so the folks running had to be aware and stay a little to the side.  I chuckled to myself as I never see cyclists in the park if there are ANY clouds.  They must have been pissed to have to cycle on an overcast day.  What a bunch of jerks.  They are also very angry and yell at each other when they race.  Assholes (i'm sure they are nice, but they are nowhere to be seen when it gets cloudy or cold and they really do scream at each other a lot).

I stuck to the trails as much as I could and tried to utilize the asphalt only when necessary.  I am really starting to enjoy the trails and I assume they are better for my knees, hips, etc...  I see myself possibly making some day trips to a state park or two, in the future, to run some more "serious" trails.  It feels great.  I won't say that I feel springy when I run, but I feel less cinder-block-footed.

I ran around my loop (4.2'ish miles from my front door) and after getting up the big hill I still felt pretty good.  I did the inner loop next (2.5 miles) and hit the hill for a second time.  It was not horrible, but it was far from fun.  I continued until I got home and my app told me I had run 7.35 miles at a 10:43 avg pace.  That is a fist pump time for me.  Mid way through the inner loop I started to feel some real tightness in my quads, specifically the back of my quads and I just focused on, slowly,  running the soreness out.

I learned quite a bit today.  I learned that the reserves are, generally, there if you need them and that not all pain is a threat.  I think I am starting to get pretty good at noticing basic fatigue and pushing through it.  I have no idea what dehydration feels like, or what "I need to stop now" pain is.  I imagine like all other runners I will find out.

After I went to Dim Sum with a buddy and his son.  We hadn't seen each other in a long time and it was great to catch up.  I will run a short, slow, recover run tomorrow and then take Tuesday off.  Whoo-hoo!






No comments:

Post a Comment