Friday, September 2, 2016

feeling groovy


The knees are feeling better.  I have started doing some light stretches before my run and do a pretty rigorous routine after.  I also make sure to ice my knees. I think it just may be some growing pains as I start to ramp up the mileage.  I'll see how I feel after Sundays run.

I am starting to really pay attention to my pre-run diet.  This is, of course, the meal the evening before as I don't eat before runs.  I am trying to keep it pretty clean the night before to make sure my stomach does not get too loopy.  I will, of course, be bringing waffles and goo's on my longer runs. I am also very concerned with hydration.  I will definitely try my Hydration Pack https://www.cambridgelsat.com/bookstore/?azdp=B01ECCEAR0 this Sunday as it's a long one (7 miles).  I am a little nervous about chaffing, but the reviews are pretty solid.

I am actually (FINALLY) starting to see the effects of this training program.  My legs are starting to feel stronger on second and third day, consecutive, runs.  This Thursday was the third consecutive run and I definitely felt like it was my strongest of the three.   I will definitely be following this plan to the letter until the race, but will be doing a lot of research after to find a great strength and speed plan.

I have pretty much stopped riding my bike to work.  I only ride in on Saturdays as Saturdays are scheduled as a cross-training day.  I find the Manhattan Bridge really stresses my patella on run days. I have been reading a lot about the importance of rest in your running.  It's very hard to pull back and ease off.  I tend to want to push the envelope and see how far I can go and see how much I can take.  But I will seriously lose my shit if i get injured, so rest it is.

I'll be heading out of town Sunday after my run.  Going to visit a buddy upstate.  Maybe do some swimming hole laps and some beer curls.




No comments:

Post a Comment