Monday, July 25, 2016

week 1 musings


I finished my first week of training.  I think it went pretty good.  My runs for the first four weeks are pretty tame.  My four mile on Sunday was the longest run of the week.  I managed to keep my pace just under 10 minutes which is pretty much my goal.  If I can manage that pace on longer runs i'll be very happy.

My legs feel pretty strong.  Not a terrible amount of soreness.  I am on the fence of wether or not I should get new shoes before the half (marathon).  I think I will certainly be in the market after.  I am interested in trying out a few different brand that offer support for overpronation.  I also wonder if I can resolve my overpronating by concentration on how my feet fall.  Maybe build up the muscles that allow for my ankles to collapse.

Its still pretty much a scorcher out there every day.  Running is definitely not as pleasant in the midst of a New York July.  I feel like i'm running with a sock jammed in my mouth.  That being said, I am running a little faster and, I think, a little looser.

I tried to mess around with my gait yesterday.  I'm trying to almost slide my feet out in front of me when I run.  Its hard to describe, but I am trying to stay cognizant of how high I lift my legs each stride.  Anything to ease the wear on my legs, knees, hips, etc.  

I can't wait to get out to the country again this coming weekend.  I am really looking forward to my long runs in the woods.  It's very soothing out there with the deer and the trees.  Running in Prospect Park is nice, but even though it has lots of trees and ponds I am still very aware that I am still in the city.  I think I am going to try and find some 10K's upstate to go run.  Maybe something in The Catskills or The Adirondacks. 

To beat the heat I went to a Costco type place with my mom last weekend and stocked up on Gatorade.  I think I am good through August.  

Ok. Smoothie time.


No comments:

Post a Comment