Friday, February 19, 2016

Running with runners

I went running with the new running club this morning.  It was a short run, 2.5 miles, and my new running buddies pushed me.  It wasn't an aggressive push.  Not a "c'mon fat boy! Pick it up!!!!", push. But, rather, more of a keep-with-my-pace-and-then-coax-me-to-go-a-hair-faster push. I must say they showed quite a bit of restraint slowing down as they did to keep me company.   It was obvious that I was the weakest of the pack and that they could have left me in the dust.

I managed a 10:45 minute pace for the entirety of the run, but I definitely pushed a little too hard in doing so.  I need to stay true to the "run at the speed in which you can hold a conversation" maxim.  I could barely breathe by the end of the first mile and it didn't get much better.  I think over the next 3 months my lungs should start to acclimate and I will be able to push a little more then.  I need to focus on my foundation, I think.  Form, light, ease, breath, etc...

I shared my story with them and they shared theirs with me and they were seemingly authentic in their support.  "Just keep at it" seems to be the common thread.  It was a lot of fun and I look forward to more morning jaunts.  ALSO, they like to get up at the crack of dawn which works for me as the Captain usually wakes me up at 5 AM.

I treated myself to a breakfast of steak, brown rice and two scrambled eggs.  No butter (fuck my fat life).  I also weighed myself with my NEW scale that my parents sent me (nothing like the folks to make someone feel like a lard ass) and was happy to see that I was down to 224.  Little victories folks. Subtle fist pumps. It is indeed the little glimmers that keep me going.

Off to the Poconos today!  I have a route in my mind for Sunday morning.  Gonna be mostly uphill.

Gack.




4 comments:

  1. This is a great way to look back and see the progress you are making!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! So proud of you all around. By the way on the pace thing try starting out a little slower instead of pushing yourself so hard the first mile. Warm yourself up for the first mile then push the pace a little in mile two and either bank it down to easier pace in the third or finish like a rockstar if u can. I always hit a better pace if I don't overtax that first mile- but that may just be me. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete