Tuesday, August 16, 2016

old friend, new run


I went running with a friend that I met TWENTY YEARS ago this morning.

She had just come back from running the Dublin Half Marathon so I was a little terrified of running with someone I considered rather seasoned in her running.  We met in front of The Brooklyn Museum and after catching up a bit off we ran.

We ran 4 1/2 miles.  It was hot.  I once again surprised myself with the amount of sweat I produce.  I felt loose and I also felt like I was picking my feet up with a little more gusto than usual.  I felt good!  Sweaty as balls, but good.  Then my friend informed me, about 2 miles into our run, that my pace was somewhere in the 9:00 mile range.

I was shocked.

This made me ponder two thing; 1) am I getting faster? and 2) Does running with a partner push me to run faster?

I guess there is a 3) as well; do I run slower when there is no one there to push me?

Interesting queries all.

I did also take more time to stretch before my run which is something I never do.  This may have something to do with the way I eased into a faster pace?  I truly have not one clue, but I may try stretching a little before more and see what comes of it.  I will say that for once my legs didn't feel like splinters for the first 2 miles.

I am very happy that my growth as a runner seems to be on the incline vs a plateau.   I know the flats will come and i'll have to work through them, but so far so good (knock on wood).  I also realize that the real trials will come with injury and the subsequent recoveries.  Until then though I will keep on trucking'.

2 miles tomorrow and another 4 Thursday.  6 miles this Sunday!

Peace out nerds.




No comments:

Post a Comment