Tuesday, January 31, 2017

rebellion and discord


So its been a year since I started running.  A lot has happened. I lost about 30 pounds.  I ran a Half Marathon.  I injured myself running a Half Marathon.  I healed (more or less) and started running again.  I entered another Half Marathon and entered the lottery for The New York City Marathon.  The New York Giants lost to the Greenbay Packers rather handily. Oh and we, as a country, replaced Democracy with some sort of dysfunctional Authoritarianism.   We replaced an intelligent, humane, charismatic leader with a groping, hateful, petulant, mandarin colored, man-child.

I'm going to a meeting tonight to discuss the future of our country.  5,000 people showed up last week.  Tonight will be my first meeting and I am thrilled to see who will show up and what will be discussed.  I am, for the first time in my life, afraid to be an American.  Hopefully tonight will give me some hope for our future.  I truly believe that democracy will never be the same, but perhaps with some real work it could be improved upon.

I have run a couple of 5 mile runs now and I think that my knee is slowly showing some improvement.  It is not as stiff walking down steps and my legs are starting to feel a little more lively.  That being said, I will take it SLOW throughout February and hopefully be in shape by March to start training in earnest for the Brooklyn Half.

My diet has shown some improvement.  I have been packing salads and soups for lunch.  I was packing salads and sandwiches, but I saw that my weight was starting to creep slowly upwards.  So soups and salads for lunch as I try to lose 20-25 more pounds.  My goal weight for summer is 190.  Thats roughly 24 pounds to drop.

One of my running group buddies is healing a broken foot so we are hoping to start doing some strength training together.  I think stairs and squats (using body weight) are in my future.  The weather is having an affect on me for sure though, I am feeling a lot more lazy this January.  I have found it harder and harder to leave the cosiness of my bed for the frigid winds of Prospect Park.

That being said, i've started taking my Sharpie to my calendar which generally means more activity in my direct future.  Going for a mid-week 4 miler tomorrow morning.  Also, I went back to my Brooks.  I had given Asics a try, but thats when all this knee trouble began.






No comments:

Post a Comment